Friday, March 22, 2013

Moving days


Wednesday was the big day.  Melody wanted to go to the nursing home so we packed up her necessities and away we went.  We arrived late in the afternoon and Melody was settled in good timing.  There was no longer the fear in her eyes that she had at home.  She had been terrified of falling and it had been written all over her face.  I was at ease because she was at ease.  My cousin, Heidi, and I talked with the nurse about the medications that she needed that night and we were assured that she would receive them.  The medications were her pain and cough medicine that she only took at night so we thought it important for her to be given them.  Is it too much to write that not only did we move Melody but we also moved my grandma to an assisted living facility the same day?  Since Grandma broke her arm she needs more care and attention then we can give at this time with Melody as frail as she is.  Wednesday night we all settled down and felt a little more at ease knowing that neither Melody nor Grandma would fall during the night and their basic needs would be met.  Thursday morning rolled around.  I stayed at my dad’s house to “clean up a bit” but really to give him and Melody a little time together by themselves.  I thought this would be good for both of them.  I was working away with my Aunt Becky, my dad’s only sibling, and suddenly my dad appeared.  He said “Melody is in pain and the nursing home does not have any medication to give her.”  WHAT?!  I was angry and my dad was outraged.  I do not like people to be in pain and as a nurse if my patient is in pain I will bug my doctors until my patient's pain is relieved.  To see someone I love in pain with no pain reliever…you do not want to know.  To make a long story short, the nursing home did not have prescriptions from the nursing home doctor so she did not have the pain medications.  I will go no further on the subject.  Dad grabbed her home medications and with my blessing he gave her her home medications for pain relief.  As it is with pain if it gets uncontrolled it is next to impossible to reign it back in.  I quickly finished up what I was doing and went up to see Melody.  She was not comfortable.  The nurse apologized, I understood I hate the paperwork process too, then I asked them what I needed to do to get her the appropriate pain medications.  I could do nothing, my dad had given her the medicine and we were still waiting for the effects.   Hospice was coming at 3:30 that afternoon and I could not wait until they got there, I knew they would be able to help Melody.  Now I am not exaggerating on the discomfort that Melody was experiencing.  The hospice nurse arrived and after only looking at Melody she was in gear to get her pain medicine as soon as she could.  Melody was in too much “discomfort” (Melody never complains and is never in pain she is only "uncomfortable") for her liking.  The hospice nurse said it usually took a day to get the medications, but she was going to call around and talk to her boss and their doctor to get the medications before we moved Melody back home.  Oh yeah, Melody decided that afternoon that if she has to be uncomfortable at the nursing home then she may as well be uncomfortable at home.  I gathered up all of Melody’s belongings and we waited a short while for the pain medications.  Melody transferred well back home and we helped her get to bed.  My dad had already moved the king sized bed into the living room for her and she slept soundly.  My aunt, dad, and I sat in the living room that evening reminiscing.  Later that evening my aunt and I headed next door and dad snuggled in next to his wife, right where he wanted to be all along.  Melody had a bad night, she was uncomfortable and gasping for air.  This morning when I came over she was comfortable again.  The hospice nurse came by and said Melody looked a lot more comfortable than she did yesterday and to call if we needed anything.  Right now, I am sitting here watching Melody and listening to my dad and Kerry, Melody’s son and only natural child, converse.  As hard as it is being here I am right where I need to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment