Saturday, April 6, 2013

When it Rains it Pours

This past week has been different than most.  My Aunt and I have been at home with my Grandma taking care of her, my Aunt more than I.  My cousins had all been by to see Grandma throughout the week.  I knew that I could stay in Ohio at least until the 10th of April on bereavement leave after Melody's funeral.  I wanted to stay as long as I could because I knew that when I went home and said goodbye to Grandma it would be the last time.  We happened to find pictures of my grandma from the 1930's to present.  Each time people came to visit we looked at the old pictures.  Because of the multiple visits I saw the pictures about four times and now I feel like I know my grandma's history a little better.  I know who her friends were and I can pick out my grandpa and her from other people.  I never met my grandpa so it is important to me that I now know what he looks like and can pick him out of a crowd.  I don't have all the memories that my cousins do of grandma and grandpa so it was fun for me to listen to them reminisce about her house and some of the pictures.  Now most of the pictures were from before my dad and aunt were born so there was not much reminiscing about those pictures but we were in awe of the amazing pictures we found.  The week could not continue going well, not in my family that is.  Thursday and Friday I noticed my grandma's health declining rapidly.  I did not know how long she would continue on like this.  Saturday early morning, she passed in her sleep.   My uncle woke me up around 7:30 to inform me.  A couple of my cousins and my dad came over to my aunt and uncles house.  It has been a bad day with lows and a few higher plateaus. The past year has been a year of changes.  Most of the changes have not been good ones, but there are good ones.  It's been a hard year.  I sometimes wonder when will life go back to normal.  What is normal anyway?    I think this is the new normal.  There will be good times and bad times in life.  I know the good times will outweigh the bad ones, eventually.  Until then, I will continue to lean on my family and friends during the hard times and I will strengthen my bonds with them simultaneously.  I also depend on God during these times.  I do not know what I would do without my faith and trust in Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment